Visiting a showhome gives you a chance to look at different home designs in living colour. You’ll be able to explore the layout, run your hand along the finishes, soak in the space and imagine what it would be like to live there.
It is an exciting experience and one that allows you to figure out what matters most to you and what features of a new home will best enhance your lifestyle.
Here’s our guide of things to consider when visiting your next showhome, which you can download and print here.
- How do you live? What matters most to you?
- Does the design suit the way you live?
- Do you spend much time outside? Is indoor/outdoor flow important to you?
- Do you have a preference for single or double storey?
- Are you looking for zones/separate areas?
- How long are you expecting to live in the home?
- Do you require space for visiting friends and family?
- Do you entertain? Do you need a butler’s pantry or an outdoor entertaining area?
- What are you drawn to in the showhome? Colours, textures, finishes.
- Are the materials used classic and timeless, or modern and dramatic?
- Does the roofline appeal to you?
- Are you impressed by the cladding?
- Does the home stand out from the crowd?
- Does the home have an inviting entry?
FLOW OF THE FLOORPLAN
- Do the rooms have connectivity, providing a sense of space?
- Can you spread out as your family grows?
- Can you open up or divide rooms as needed?
- Kitchens are often referred to as the heart of a home. Does this space work for you?
- Will you need a walk-in wardrobes or internal access to the garage?
- Will the home provide sufficient storage?
- Is the home situated to maximise the sunlight/warmth?
A showhome is a good indicator of the quality you can expect from the home builder, so make sure it meets your standards.
- Is the home inviting? What are your first impressions?
- Does it stand out from the crowd?
- Is the home built using quality materials?
- Can you customise and personalise to suit your needs?
- Do you like the style of the fixtures and fittings used?
- Did you feel the ‘wow’ factor?
- Were they approachable/friendly?
- Were they the kind of people you would like to work with?
- Did they answer your questions?
- Did they follow-up with your requests/requirements?
- Did you understand their process of designing and building?
Keep these questions in mind when looking at showhomes, it will ensure you feel confident in your decisions. Remember to take your time, do as much due diligence as you feel you need and enjoy the process of planning your dream home.
Have you ever considered investing in a showhome? Many investors are seeing the benefits of buying a showhome and leasing it back to the builder at a favourable rate for up to 24 months. Read our blog post to learn more.