Bed Car Sofa Desk Shower Stories Brochure Down Size Section House Phone Pin Clock Email Remove

How to add value to your property with a minor dwelling

Posted on June 14, 2021 in Living

How to add value to your property with a minor dwelling

If your current property is sitting on a piece of land then adding a minor dwelling can be a great way to increase your property value, generate extra income or provide extra space for your growing family.

What do you need to know?

A minor dwelling is a secondary house that can be built on your existing property. It must not be larger than 65 square metres. Garaging and outdoor living space are in addition to the maximum 65 square metre size of the minor dwelling itself.

Minor dwellings are specifically provided for within the following Auckland Unitary plan zones:

  • Residential - Single House Zone
  • Residential - Large Lot Zone
  • Residential - Rural and Coastal Settlement Zone

Whilst you don’t need to undertake a subdivision for a minor dwelling, you may need building consent for your project. This may be necessary depending on such things as:

  • floor size
  • the height of the building
  • how close it is to the section boundaries or other homes
  • whether it will have cooking and toilet facilities

Signature Homes offers a free site appraisal where our expert team, who are Auckland Unitary Plan specialists, can give you a quick and easy assessment of what could be possible on your property.

Request your free site appraisal today

Deciding on a minor dwelling design

Signature Homes has a variety of pre-designed one, two, and three-bedroom plans up to 65m2 to suit all spaces and stages, that don’t require a lengthy subdivision process.

The hard work is done for you, our plans are designed with simplicity and cost-efficiency in mind.

Explore our minor dwelling options here

Read more articles

Get in touch