When it comes to designing your dream home the outdoor space can often get overlooked, that’s why many of our plans include outdoor living that can be adapted and maximised to suit your lifestyle.
By turning the space into an outdoor room, your house has a larger footprint and you have the potential to increase the value of your home, not to mention the fun there is to be had by the whole family.
The concept of outdoor cooking has come along way from a few snags on the barbie as fully outdoor pizza ovens and fully appointed kitchens become very popular. But you need not break the bank to create the dream outdoor space for your family.
Here are some smart tips to help you get started:
- Be deliberate in your layout, how will you use the space? Will be you be eating meals as a family, chilling out with friends, entertaining children
- Define your space then add privacy with screens, trellis, or even planter boxes
- A pergola creates a great focal point which can be softened using climbing plants
Make it functional
- How will you reach the space from your house? It needs to be easily accessible with a trayful of food and drinks!
- What is the orientation of the sun?
- Is there already shelter in place?
- Outdoor furniture is one of the biggest investments, make sure it fits the area well without being too cluttered
Cover it up
- NZs weather can be fickle so try and plan for all weather conditions
- A shade sail is a great temporary option, otherwise, clear roofing is cost-effective, easy to install, and, most importantly, will give you cover without blocking out the sun
- You could consider extending your roofline across the deck if you are building, this will create a seamless flow and bifold doors will make the space an extension of your indoor living
Keep it cosy
- Electric radiant and gas bottle heaters are a cost-effective way to keep warm year-round
- If you have space an outdoor fire, brazier, or fire pit will keep you toasty when the sun dips plus it will add a great focal point
- Clear slides might be a good option to shelter you from any prevailing winds
- Don’t forget to have cosy blankets on hand
Shine the light
- Add ambiance with outdoor lighting, there are many options to choose from depending on the atmosphere you want to create. Festoon lights are right on trend and will add a different dimension to your space once the sun goes down
Plants, plants, plants
- The most cost-effective way to add life to your outdoor space is with greenery
- Choose plants that suit your climate in various sizes to create atmosphere, shelter, and privacy
For more inspiration check out our outdoor rooms on Pinterest, or click here for some indoor/ outdoor flow goals.